pizza base with cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese and fresh herbs.
The Pizza Crust
- 1.5 cups almond meal (155 grams), or make your own from ground raw almonds
- 1.5 cups raw buckwheat flour (205 grams), or if you can make your own from raw buckwheat groats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (we used basil and parsley)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 tbsp water, as needed
- 2 cloves roasted garlic, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Mix the eggs and set aside. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix well with your hands until you can form a ball.
3. Place the ball of dough on the baking paper. Place another piece of paper on top. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is as thin as you can get it. Transfer to the baking sheet on the tray (the dough may rip a bit and that is ok). Gently patch rips of dough with fingers and spread on a couple cloves of roasted garlic (optional).
4. Bake in the oven at 170 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until golden along the edges. Remove to cool slightly. Then set the oven on a medium heat setting.
The Pizza with a simple sea salt, parmesan and fresh rosemary topping
- Pre-baked crust (above)
- home made tomato sauce
- Mozzarella cheese, parmesan or goats fetta
- 2 – 3 tbsp of herbs (we often use basil, oregano or some italian parsley)
- and whatever favourite toppings your family loves
- Cover the base with your tomato sauce
- Add your favourite toppings
- Sprinkle with your preferred cheese and pop in the oven for 5 or 10 minutes until your cheese is perfectly melted.
- I ground raw almonds and buckwheat groats in the thermomix to make the almond and buckwheat flour. You can also use a food processor.
- We’ve made this with home made basil pesto too, which was scrumptious.
The inspiration for this recipe came from www.ohsheglows.com.