Preparation: 10 – 15 minutes
Quantity: 4 people as a side dish to a main meal of fish, chicken or lamb
- 2 large or 4 mediums sized eggplants
- Ghee or coconut oil for sautéing
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 6 tablespoons fresh basil roughly chopped
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- a pinch of himalayan or celtic sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- approximately 180g crumbled goats feta
- olive oil to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees or 160 degrees fan forced
- Add the ghee or coconut oil to the pan and melt on a medium heat.
- Remove stems from the eggplants and cut into approximately 1cm slices length.
- Add the eggplant to the pan and lightly sauté until softened and browned.
- While the eggplant is cooking add all the other ingredients including, tomatoes, garlic, 5 tbsp basil, salt and pepper (except the olive oil & feta) into a bowl and mix well.
- When the eggplant is ready, place it onto the bottom of a baking dish.
- Cover the eggplant with the tomato and garlic mix.
- Top with the crumbled feta.
- Place in the oven and cook for 35 – 40 minutes or until cooked through and feta has turned a golden colour.
- Serve with leftover basil sprinkled over the top and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy as a side with your favourite lamb, chicken or fish dish.