- 14 pitted medjool dates, 12 to soak and 2 to chop into chunks and fold through the cake dough.
- 2/3 cup of boiling hot water
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 4 Tbsp rice or maple syrups
- 3 eggs
- 140g melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 90g buckwheat flour
- 40g coconut flour (You could do 80g coconut flour and omit the buckwheat if you are strict paleo. It will be a lot more moist in texture. no ‘fluff’ but still very yummy).
- 3 Tbsp rice or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses (if you have it, it adds a delicious richness to the sauce . otherwise, just increase your rice / maple to 4 tbsp)
- 160ml coconut cream
- 100g salted butter
- Pre heat oven to 180C and grease or line individual ramekins, muffin tin or a loaf tin.
- Soak the dates and chia seeds with the water and bicarb soda for 5 minutes.
- Blend on high the butter, rice or maple syrup and all the date / chia / water mixture in a blender or thermomix.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, flours and baking powder and blend more until well combined.
- Then fold in the few little bits of chopped date through the mix.
- Pour into the loaf tin or ramekins and bake for approximately 25 minutes depending on the size of tins / ramekins.
- Check and if the skewer or knife comes clean it’s ready.
- Take out and run a knife around sides and turn over loaf / individual puddings onto cooling tray.
- Put the butter, coconut cream and syrups into wide frying pan – Better than a saucepan for a nice, thick sauce result.
- Simmer and bubble lightly on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes until a little thickened.
- To serve, place puddings on plate and drizzle syrup / sauce over the top. Serve with whole yoghurt, creme fraiche, double cream or coconut cream. Enjoy!
This recipe is inspired by the very inspirational Alexx Stuart at http://alexxstuart.com.