- 1 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 4 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup whole coconut milk (look for a brand that is BPA free and don’t cheat with low-fat)
- 3 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 Tbsp brown rice malt syrup (or 2 Tbsp maple syrup)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- In a high speed blender grind upthe almonds, dates, and 1 – 2 Tbsp of coconut oil until you get a nice crumble. (If the crumb doesn’t hold when you squeeze it together add another date and a tsp of oil).
- Grease a standard size pie pan with coconut oil. Pour in the almond date crumble and press flat against the bottom and halfway up the edge.
- Bake the crust in the oven for 5-10 mintues. When the crust is slightly golden remove it from the oven.
- In a blender combine all the remaining ingredients: coconut milk, eggs, lime juice, rice malt syrup and coconut flour. Taste for your desired level of sweetness. Add more sweetener if necessary.
- Pour the filling into the baked crust and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until the pie is set. The pie shouldn’t wiggle and giggle when you move it.
- Store in the fridge for at least two hours before serving.
- Pull out of the fridge to let warm up a little and to easily remove from the pie tin or dish about 20 – 30 minutes before serving. (Or serve from the dish).
- If you don’t have limes, lemons can easily be substituted.
- Create mini pies the same way by using a small / mini muffin pan.
Inspired by http://www.thewholekitchen.com