Conclusions from a 5 day 'Gentle Cleanse with Kate';
- Within days our choices can transform and make us 'FEEL GOOD'! Or as some cleansers described, 'excited', 'amazing', 'proud', 'alert', 'energised'!Commonly, weight and wellbeing can prey heavily on our minds - a nemesis lurking in the shadows. The cleanse demonstrated that with a bit of effort placed on our food and lifestyle choices, we almost instantly change how we feel and how we look i.e. our thoughts and our wellbeing. No drugs, prescriptions, supplements or anyone else required.'I lost 2.5kg and feel amazingly healthy and totally cleansed'!
- Hunger can be satiated without food. A large drink of water helps take the edge off hunger. In saying that, adding in more good fats helps too. Avocado became a favourite, as did coconut butter and coconut yoghurt. Try these energy sustaining choices before reaching for the sweet treat or other convenience foods.
- Hunger passes. Experiment. Most of us are aware it's easy to overeat and it's understandable, food is everywhere. Feel the hunger and create a distraction, go outside, have a drink of water, often the hunger or craving passes in a matter of minutes, allowing our gut to completely digest everything, not just partially, but fully.
- Eat Mindfully. This was a biggie for me. I regularly found my fingers subconsciously ready to finish the kids leftovers, ready to taste this and that. When we're busy it's easy to mindlessly snack or pick, it keeps our digestion on alert, not allowing it to rest - unnecessarily. When we eat mindlessly we don't chew or digest food as efficiently and we can eat more than we need.
- Reduce food intake. It heals. When we restrict food intake or even fast, our bodies have the chance to heal. We know when we feel unwell, we naturally don't feel like eating and our ancestors long, long ago certainly didn't have access to food 24/7 and would've had periods of fasting. Many cultures across the globe have a form of fasting tradition. Our digestive systems get a break and the bodies healing mechanisms switch into action. (Take into consideration your own unique health circumstances first)
- Fuel up in the early part of the day with a lighter meal at night. It's great for digestion and keeps our energy more stable through the day.
- Our minds and thoughts need a holiday from thoughts of FOOD! I don't know about you, but I spend a LOT of time thinking about food. So when served the same, simple food for a few days at a time, the need to think about food, what to eat, if it's good for me etc. lessens. Freeing up my valuable mind realestate to dwell on other, hopefully greater, ideas and possibilities, to be more present with my family and be conscious of the choices I'm making.
- Exercise isn't needed for weight loss. This sentiment is best shared by one of our cleansers;'(I) lost 3.1 kilos. This has also been with no exercise as I am out of training with injuries! Wow! So excited'.
- Community and accountability is invaluable for making new choices happen and for much needed support - anytime. Surrounding ourselves with like minded souls who unquestioningly cheer us on in our endeavours, not only makes our goals a reality, it's much more fun. Find a tribe.'The facebook community was so helpful to read everyones comments along the way and it definitely held me accountable for what I was eating'.
- Emotions can be cleansed. A few of us got teary, including me. Yes, it could've been I was grumpy that my mindless approach to eating was now reined in OR perhaps I was clearing deep seated emotions, stuffed away in the deep recesses of my brain cells that were finally released and allowed to bubble to the surface, opening up my body for a deeper healing and cleansing? Emotions can be toxic and need cleansing. FEEL emotions and let them go, happy, sad, joyful, distressful. We do not want negative energy hampering our vitality.
- Self care isn't a luxury it's a necessity. Especially in our busy lives. A lot of cleansers have a new found love for things like oil pulling, dry skin brushing and relaxing epsom salt baths. It's time to add more 'self care' into our busy routines, recharge our depleted bodies and feel good!'Regular Epsom salt baths - just felt soooo relaxing, incredibly easy and fabulous ME time. I felt amazing afterwards'
- We don't need to spend loads of money to feel amazing. In our homes, with lots of nourishing whole, organic foods and in our kitchens we create medicine (and happy families). No excessive gym memberships, supplements, medication, fancy retreats etc required. (Although the fancy retreats would be nice).
- Vitality and health is readily available. It's an inside job. There is no-one else who knows or cares as much about our own health and wellbeing, than we do (and perhaps Kate Barnes ;-0)!
In the beginning the cleanse was a huge mental challenge - it was hard! The food and lifestyle changes we made were drastic and we gained drastic results. It's not an approach I recommend on a long term basis, however to kickstart healthy choices between seasons, to rest, digest and detoxify, to experience just what can be achieved and HOW, and... to know just how good it's possible to feel - it's perfect.
The trap is that it's very easy for us to be swayed by the bombardment of advertising that we NEED this supplement, this exercise gimmick, this superfood, this and that. Remember there is NO quick fix and less can be more. What we really need is found in our farmers markets, kitchens, pantries, fridges and freezers, the outdoors and importantly ... our thoughts.
There is a lot of energy, research and money put into looking for medical cures and creating awareness around illnesses, with very little if any time, effort and money put toward health education and empowering us individually with knowledge. In my experience (and probably my cleansers) the latter is a much simpler, powerful, economical and effective approach to take.
How to make cleansing part of our everyday
- Start small.
- Choose one or two new ideas listed above that resonate and start incorporating them into a daily routine. When they're firmly established add the next new choice or idea in and we're on your way to cleansing daily without even thinking about it. Step x step - one step at a time.
- Slow down enough to be aware of the choices we automatically and mindlessly make each day and WHY?