An Ultimate Act of Kindness.
I blissfully believed we're uniquely designed to efficiently eliminate toxins. Our bodies, finely tuned machines that silently and almost miraculously metabolise, absorb, digest, detox and eliminate without question. And they are.
After having children my protective mama instinct kicked in and I started paying closer attention to what we were eating and exposing ourselves to. I researched, read and asked questions. I became curious.
What I learnt shocked me. While our bodies are brilliantly designed and miraculously efficient, they are carrying a very heavy toxic burden both physically (especially in our children), and emotionally.
How can this be?
We are exposed to far more toxins than we realise.
The two most common sources I'm aware of;
- Inherited. The toxic load we inherit at birth through the placenta and mothers breastmilk. A load that generally accumulates from one generation to the next unless we consciously detoxify.
- Environmental. The microscopic chemicals and insidious heavy metals we are exposed to daily through our food, the air we breathe, medications, dental amalgams, personal hygiene products, household cleaning products, gardening products, electro magnetic radiation and so much more.
- Thoughts and beliefs we tell ourselves each day that have the power to zap our energy, misdirect us and create dis-ease in our bodies.
- The subconscious beliefs that drive our behaviours on auto pilot each day and that again, can misdirect us and keep us from playing the bigger game that we're really here for.
A gloomy picture? Not really. I share this reminder to create awareness, not alarm.
As they say, with knowledge comes power, but I believe when it comes to our health with knowledge comes freedom. Freedom from fear of illness.
'When we nourish and detox our bodies deeply and quieten our overactive nervous systems, fear of illness can become a distant foe and freedom a welcomed friend'
Illness doesn't happen overnight. There are silent clues our body gives us everyday - quietly telling us what it needs. But in our busy lives and disconnect from nature and her rhythms it can be hard to stop or slow down enough to actually tune in and listen.
14 signs we need to detox:
- allergies we never used to have, such as hay fever or eczema
- food sensitivities
- poor sleep
- regular headaches
- PMS symptoms that have become heavier or more noticeable
- cysts, lumps and growths
- easily irritated and quick to get angry
- joint pain
- fluid retention
- increased belly fat
- skin irritations e.g. itchiness
- thyroid issues
- lagging energy at the end of the day or it's harder to get out of bed in the mornings.
My top 7 simple and effective detox strategies;
If you're not already doing these, try adding in one or two and start making them part of your day;
- Reduce toxins in the home. For example take a close look at the cosmetics and cleaning products you're using. Do you need to be using as many as you are? What are their ingredients? There are many good brands and local brands available now. I generally use Castille Soaps, doTerra, Weleda or Eva Perez makeup.
- Add in a green smoothie to your day! first thing in the morning if it's spring / summer or later in the day if it's winter/ autumn. Dark leafy greens e.g. spinach, rocket and dandelion greens that are bitter help give us energy and can stimulate the flow of bile in the gall bladder, supporting liver health. fyi This is a good recipe to start with here.
- Add in more healthy fats and mineral rich foods e.g. seaweeds, bone stock and organ meat.
- Add in herbs and spices that stimulate bile production and support liver health such as dandelion root and milk thistle. Take in the form of a tea or as a powder and add it into your smoothie.
- Breathe. Diaphragmatic breathing (breathing from our bellies) instantly initiates our rest and digest response i.e. the parasympathetic nervous system - rather than breathing from the chest, which initiates the fight and flight response i.e. the sympathetic nervous system. A quietened nervous system i.e. the parasympathetic nervous state is fundamental for our bodies to detox efficiently.
- Sleep. Sleep is the bodies chance to repair and restore. Getting enough of it is fundamental to our wellbeing.
- Gentle movement. Walking, yoga, something that creates movement in our bodies systems, yet doesn't place too much stress on our body at the same time.
When I look after myself, I'm a happier person and every area of my life improves. And importantly for me, I'm a better role model to my children. However with children, work, running the home and life, it's not always easy.
One way I get to do this is with my 'Gentle Cleanse'. Which kicks off again on Monday the 26th of February, with the optional pre cleanse starting on Monday the 19th of February. If you've already done the cleanse with me, it's a nominal amount, so no excuses.
Kelly says, "I've been to 3 health retreats on the east coast which were very expensive and I've found I've got the same results with Kate's cleanse at a fraction of the cost!... It is extremely good value for money."
Each time I do A Gentle Cleanse I learn more about what my body needs for optimum wellbeing, it's the perfect kickstarter, we don't go hungry and it's easy to do.
As one cleanser shared, 'it's a mini retreat in my own home'!
In AGC we:
- rest our hard working digestive systems as we enjoy foods that are easily absorbed and deeply nourish,
- reset our over active nervous systems, as we take some much needed time out for us, learning short and effective de-stress techniques, that within seconds can move us from a state of fight or flight to rest and digest. (And with no guilt).
- slow down with gentle movement, that helps our bodies to detoxify, eliminate and re-energise
- slow down our active minds to take time to be human beings rather than human doings
- learn what we need for deep, restorative sleep
- help us start listening to our bodies again, understanding just what they really need to FEEL good.
- get our healthy lifestyles back on track.
We are all very busy, but if we don't have our health what do we have?
I've made sure that a gentle cleanse is easy. Doable. Great value for money and works, even for those of us working full time and are super busy.
Enjoy a taste of A Gentle Cleanse here
When asked if cleansers would do 'A Gentle Cleanse' again? 100% say 'YES'!
We're always more likely to achieve things when we do it with others. The accountability, encouragement is amazing and it's more fun together. Most of my clients are already joining me, will you join us too? Register at https://www.katebarnes.com.au/a-gentle-cleanse-with-kate/
Note: If you're suffering from a chronic illness, pregnant or breastfeeding, the cleanse is not for you at this time. If you have any questions contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.